It's almost New Year’s Eve and the world is coming together for the most exciting party imaginable! As we get ready to ring in 2015 with a loud, colorful display of festive fireworks, we need to remember to keep our furry friends safe. The sparkling, popping, and crackling of fireworks can make many pets agitated and scared. Without proper care, they can become lost. Here are a few helpful tips to keep your furry friend safe this New Year's Eve:
Make sure your pet is wearing a collar with identification tags with current information. Dogs should wear nylon or leather collars only. Never place tags on training collars or “choke” chains. And, cats should wear break a-way / safety collars. Microchipping your pet is always highly recommended. Verify with the microchip company that your information is up to date.
Keep your pets indoors in a quiet safe bedroom with plenty of fresh water and give dogs several safe chew toys. Dogs who are crate trained will feel safest in their kennels. Cats will do best in a bathroom or utility room with food, water and their litter box. However, if your dog is comfortable in a room with a television then turn the TV on and the volume up and they won't even hear the fireworks. Fireworks really terrify our canine friends because they have sensitive hearing and the explosions are magnified.
Resist the urge to soothe and comfort your agitated pet as this can actually reinforce their stressed behavior. Instead, stay calm, unemotional, & practical when dealing with a pet who is upset by loud noises.
Frightened outdoor dogs have been known to jump high fences and dig holes to escape the sound of fireworks. Indoor animals should be kept away from large glass windows or doors because when scared they are capable of crashing right through.
Make sure to keep all alcohol, festive foods, chocolates, floral arrangements and party decorations away from your pets. Alcohol can be dangerous and deadly while balloons, streamers, party hats, and confetti can become lodged in your pet’s intestines, causing an intestinal blockage. Chocolate is especially toxic to both canines and felines.
If your pet has extreme fears or anxiety with fireworks, contact your veterinarian as a light sedative may be necessary to keep them safe and comfortable.
I hope you have a Happy New Year and I look forward to another great year!